President Joan Smith called the meeting to order via telephone at 12:10 p.m. EDT. Also on the call were Executive Committee member Cheri Watson, Overseer Leroy Watson, Secretary Richard Weiss, Steward Amanda Brozana, Lady Assistant Steward Jessie Cope, Flora Stephanie Wilkins, National Grange President Betsy Huber, Grange Executive Assistant Stephanie Tiller, Grange Legislative Director Burton Eller and Grange Program Director Loretta Washington.
The September 20, 2016 minutes were approved as written.
IRS Reports – 990s
Joan reported that in reviewing our financials, it appears that we have not filed our IRS Taxes since 2012 or 2013. Joan will compile data and provide to our CPA for completion and filing.
Election of Treasurer
Rachel Watson has turned 14 years old. Her school volley ball team is undefeated and going to state finals.
- Junior Grange tee shirts with the sash design will not be produced due to lack of time.
- Present in the office for the Monday evening tour will be Grace Boatright, Samantha Johnson, Jessie Cope, Stephanie Wilkins and Dick Weiss.
- While Stephanie Wilkins will be in the office Tuesday and Wednesday of convention week, it was recommended that Dick Weiss be there also in case buses show up for a tour of the building.
- Discussion of 7th Degree logistics focused on transportation from the hotel to the theater in Alexandria. Jessie pointed out that there will be six buses available. The set-up crew will be transported by van.
- Potomac Grange will manage the President’s Reception on Sunday night. Joan proposed that wraps, chips, salsa and a sheet cake with the Grange logo be purchased from a nearby Costco as we will not have access to equipment or time to prepare snacks ourselves. Betsy concurred with the recommendation.
- There will be display space for the Shoes for Souls.
- 725 pairs of socks will be on display as part of the national community service project.
The Potomac Grange 2015 9090 tax document has not been done and it appears that 2013, 2014 also may not have been completed. Potomac Grange has suffered frequent turnover of treasurers and has not had a treasured for several months. There is a need for a long term treasurer. National Grange Treasurer Stewart Hughes has indicated he does not want the position with Potomac Grange.
Amanda Brozana volunteered to undertake the job beginning December 1, 2016.
There was no further business and the meeting adjourned at 1:10 p.m.
Potomac Grange #1