Our objective is to keep this structure in service to the community and to preserve its historic nature, while making the building more useful and functional to keep pace with the evolving needs of the community.
Our successes so far:
- We repaired the roof structure by adding new support for the North side of the main building’s roof. We used a large glue-lam beam with 8” x 8” support posts built into the walls.
- The mail roof trusses were all rebuilt using reinforcement gussets at the North and South ends.
- The foundation on the South side wad rebuilt, and the same foundation for the South end of the East wall.
- The South Wall was reinstalled to its correct location, resulting in a level floor.
- We installed a new high efficiency propane furnace and sealed all of the related ducting.
- We installed a new water treatment system.
- We rebuilt the kitchen counters and installed new plumbing for the wash basins. All of the countertops are now level and have new surfaces.
- We installed a external waste water drain system per the Whidbey Island Conservation District design.
- We installed ceiling insulation in the mail hall.
- We installed under floor insulation for the whole building.
We can still use financial support to make other needed improvements and repairs:
- Replace the old lighting system with energy efficient LED lighting.
- Replace the stove air vent system with one of higher capacity to accommodate banquets and dinners.
- We have many other repairs that need to be accomplished (main hall dance surface, antique glass for 1904 windows, storm windows for the antique windows and high efficiency glass windows for the rest of the building, stairwell sheet rock repair, bathroom repair, etc.)
For more information: Building Fund Project
The Grange gratefully acknowledges the following donors to the Building Fund:
Memory of Elsie and Roald Melver
South Whidbey Community Church
Flat Rock Productions
Gary and Tarey Kay
Deer Lagoon Grange Membership
Rotary Club of South Whidbey
Whidbey Island Bank – Freeland Branch
Chuck and Judy Prochaska
Dr. Ray O. Ellis
Sooja C. Nehrlich
Rome Grange #226
Marc Wilson and Anza Muenchow
Peter and Linda Casale
Robert and Roxie Chamuler
Dennis and Cheryl Kamera
Brian and Emmy Atwood
Sue Ellen White
Sally S. Berry
Wilbur and Karen Bishop
Michael Seraphinoff & Susan Prescott
Judy and Jerry Kaplan