Next meeting, Dec 17th, 2016 Curriers Grange Hall, Xmas Celebration at noon!
Nov meeting we draped charter for Shirley Pilc and Lois Pilc a past member! Presented Peter Pilc with a check for Freedom Lounge, for Veterans and their families at the Buffalo Airport on behalf of Curriers Grange. Discussion of State Grange Convention that took place in Oct. and results from our Roast Pork dinner. And keep in our prayers for Pat Gunners mother who is going thru cancer treatments at this time.
- Curriers, first named Fox’s 6th, was enjoyed by all Corners, has seen its share of businesses including sawmills, cheese factories, Fox’s Tavern, a blacksmith shop, Post Office, and of course, at least two general stores. Some prices taken from the Twiss Store Records from 1867 included wallpaper, 23 cents; one lb. maple sugar, 14 cents; a corset, $1.50; a linen coat, $1.50; hip boots, $6.00; and an axe, $1.63. An excerpt dated July 17, 1890 from Curriers news in the local “Javan Eagle” newspaper said, “Hay is the heaviest crop in years. Laborers are scarce. Some farmers are offering $2 per day and can’t get help at that.” Buildings still standing in Curriers include the church, instituted in 1854 as the Congregational Church of West Java, and now known as the Curriers Wesleyan Community church. Across the road is the present home of the Curriers Grange No. 1273, which was organized in 1912 with 52 charter members and Ellsworth Smith as its first master. Built in 1901, the building first served as a school and was deeded over to the Grange in 1970.